The Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies was established in 2004 with the merger of the Institute of Germanic Studies and the Institute of Romance Studies, founded in 1950 and 1989 respectively. It is one of the ten Institutes of the University of London's School of Advanced Study. Its mission is to promote and facilitate the study of the cultures of German-speaking and Romance language countries across a range of disciplines in the humanities.
The Institute fosters and contributes to national and international collaborative, cross-disciplinary and cross-cultural research by means of seminars, lectures, workshops, colloquia, conferences, a fellowships programme, and its four research centres.
The Germanic Studies Collection, formerly the Library of the Institute of Germanic Studies and now part of the Senate House Libraries, is located on the 4th floor of Senate House. Its holdings are devoted principally to German language and literature from their respective beginnings to the present day, and has substantial collections of books, journals, microfiches, theses and archives covering these fields.